This month we are happy to feature our Smooth Surface Holiday Bundle! This collection features a 9×12, 3/4″ cradled Claybord and a 9×12, 7/8″ cradled Artist Panel Primed Smooth and includes two FREE bottles of Golden High Flow Acrylic Paints – Indigo and Green Gold. If you haven’t had a chance to try these paints yet, this is a great opportunity to do so! When used with either one of our smooth surface panels, you will experience a pairing that is sure to inspire and delight!
We’ve asked a few of our favorite artists who regularly use Ampersand panels and Golden High Flow to create some pieces and give us a little insight into their process to give you a little inspiration!
Our first Artist is Samantha Williams-Chapelsky from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Born paintbrush in-hand, at the ripe age of five Samantha won an Emily Carr young artist award for her work, ‘The House’. Since then – through her extensive education, experience and years spent studying Italian art in Tuscany – she has emerged as an internationally exhibited painter and sculptor. Currently a visual art instructor, Samantha teaches painting and sculpting methods in all mediums. From India to Italy, Scotland to New York, numerous galleries and more than 55 exhibitions have featured her vibrant collections.
Samantha has created a couple of wonderful pieces shown in the image above and has created the following step by step tutorial to show you how they were created.
- Ampersand Claybord
- Golden High Flow Indigo
- Golden High Flow Green Gold
- Golden Heavy Body Titanium White
- Golden Heavy Body Nickel Azo Yellow
- Golden Heavy Body Quinacridone Magenta
- Golden Polymer Medium Gloss
- Golden Fluid Bone Black
- Page protector sheet
- Assorted Brushes
- Fine line Applicator
- Lace Stencil 6” x 6”
- Empty Spray Bottle
- Add 1 part water to 3 parts Golden High Flow Indigo and pour into a spray bottle.
- Place the stencil on Ampersand Claybord panel and spray the Golden High Flow mixture onto the panel to create a pattern.
- Fill the Fine Line applicator with Golden Fluid Bone Black paint.
- Using the sheet projector and a printed image, trace the image with the Fine Line pen.
- Let this image dry.
- Once the Fine Line drawing is dry, use Golden Heavy Body Titanium White, Golden Heavy Body Nickel Azo Yellow and Golden Heavy Body Quinacridone Magenta to colour in the image. This colour will create part of the skin and does not need to just be painted in the lines.
- Allow this to dry completely.
- Once image is completely dry, apply Golden Polymer Medium Gloss to create a skin on page protector sheet
- Allow the skin to dry completely
- To adhere the skin to the board support, apply a thin layer of Golden Polymer Medium Gloss
- Create a mixture of Golden High Flow Green Gold and Golden Heavy Body Titanium White and add highlights and details around the floral skin.
- Allow to dry
What do you think?
Leave us your questions and comments below!